- Early Neurological Stimulation (ENS) to enhance the development of strong nervous systems
- Barrier Challenge to instill problem-solving ability and teach the puppies frustration tolerance
- Clicker training to teach the puppy how to learn, how to enjoy learning, and how to seek out learning
- Conditioned Emotional Responses to teach positive associations with important puppy skills, such as crate training, grooming, veterinary handling, enjoying the company of humans, and having manners
- Manding, which is a way of teaching puppies to offer polite behaviors and asking for attention, instead of jumping, barking, etc.
- Puppy Parties to teach the puppies to engage confidently with humans and enjoy activities with humans
- Resource Guarding Prevention to help prevent the unwanted behavior of puppies or dogs guarding food, toys, people, or other valued items.
- Basic obedience, including sitting, walking on a leash, and waiting at doors
- Exposure to loud noises and new experiences, such as a vacuum, lawn mower, and roller suitcase.
Early Neurological Stimulation: Introduce gentle and age-appropriate sensory experiences, such as different textures, mild sounds, and gentle smells.
Environmental Enrichment: Create a safe and comfortable environment for the mother and puppies, ensuring they have a quiet and warm space with appropriate bedding and nesting materials.
Environmental Enrichment: Gradually introduce new experiences, such as different surfaces, mild sounds, and toys appropriate for their age.
Early Socialization: Begin to expose the puppies to gentle handling by different people, including family members and trusted friends. This helps them become accustomed to human touch and builds positive associations.
Introduction to Food: Introduce soft, moistened puppy food, allowing them to start transitioning from nursing to solid food. Monitor their feeding and ensure they have access to fresh water.
Puppy Play Area: Create a separate, safe space where the puppies can start exploring, interact with each other, and engage in gentle play.
ACTIVE SOCIALIZATION STAGE
Socialization with People: Continue to expose the puppies to different individuals, including children, adults, and elderly individuals. Ensure that the interactions are positive, gentle, and supervised.
Socialization with Other Animals: Introduce the puppies to well-mannered and healthy adult dogs or other vaccinated puppies to promote positive social interactions and appropriate play.
Habituation to Sounds and Environments: Gradually expose the puppies to a variety of sounds, such as vacuum cleaners, thunder, and hair dryers.
- Introduction to Crate Training: Gradually introducing puppies to crates can help prepare them for future travel or confinement situations. Positive associations with the crate are fostered through treats, toys, and short periods of confinement.
THE AWARENESS STAGE
- Puppies become more curious and start actively exploring their environment during this stage. Socialization experiences are crucial at this age.
- Fear Period Management: Puppies may exhibit fear or sensitivity to new experiences during this period. It's essential to provide positive and gradual exposure to help them overcome any fears they may develop.
- Environmental Exposure: Puppies are introduced to a wider range of environments, such as different rooms in the house, outdoor spaces, and public areas. They encounter various sounds, sights, and people, helping them become adaptable and confident.
- During this stage, puppies go through significant physical and behavioral changes as they transition into adolescence. Key activities include:
Continued Socialization: Puppies should continue to have positive interactions with a variety of people, animals, and environments. Controlled playdates, puppy classes, and exposure to different scenarios help them further develop social skills and adaptability.
Basic Training: Puppies can start learning basic commands like sit, stay, and come. Positive reinforcement-based training methods are used to make learning enjoyable and build a strong foundation for future training.